Marilyn Sherlock, Expert TrichologistMarilyn Sherlock is a leading expert in the field of Trichology. Since 1998 Marilyn has been Chairwoman of the Institute of Trichologists. Marilyn works closely with the medical profession through her clinical practise and patient referrals and with the legal profession as an Expert Witness in court cases. Marilyn’s wealth of experience and knowledge is much sought after and is frequently asked to lecture to audiences around the world. Marilyn has worked with countless people concerned with hair thinning. Luckily there are many practical changes that people can make to their routines to make the most of the hair you have, helping to prevent further damage.
Here are Marilyn’s top tips:
- A common cause of apparent hair thinning these days is lack of hair care e.g. not washing it correctly, failure to condition the hair daily etc. Use a specialized hair care regime to care for the hair and scalp – many people think about protecting their skin and forget the scalp environment, which is so important.
- Avoid rubbing your hair when towel drying, pat hair dry or wrap into a turban to absorb the excess water.
- Comb the hair at the ends to start with, then gradually work up the hair shaft. I’ve seen plenty of people who forget this in a rush, leading to breakage. Try not to stretch the hair when wet as this can weaken it.
- A wide toothed comb is friendlier for the hair. Elastic bands are a real no - Soft, padded hair ties only! Ensure you are conditioning your hair regularly (after every shampoo), to help prevent breakage, the Nioxin Deep Repair Hair Masque is great for this and a nice treat too.
- A great heat protection product is essential to help protect against styling tools – It should become a habit every time you reach for your straighteners.
Holly Simpson, Nioxin Expert
Hair thinning is an increasing concern for many, did you know there are actually over 50 causes? For example, diet, genetics, medication, environmental factors, post partum hair shedding, to name a few.
You may have noticed more hair in the plug hole or areas that are becoming finer, or perhaps a change of hair texture.
If that’s the case you might want to consider a few things including your hair care regime…
Nioxin, the no.1 salon brand for thinning hair*, looks at the 3 aspects of hair thinning called the 3D’s:
- Derma – This is all about your scalp environment. A healthy scalp environment supports healthy hair growth.
- Density – This is all about fewer hair strands. Less support from the surrounding hair can result in gaps in the overall silhouette.
- Diameter – This is about finer hair strands. This means a smaller keratin form, which results in weaker hair structure that cannot control its own weight, therefore appearing fluffy or falling flat.
Hair thinning can often affect your confidence – but there’s no reason to put your life on hold. Nioxin want to set you on your journey to confidence by providing you with practical tips for those in need of some hair TLC, helping you make the most of the hair you have.
- Nutrition - It’s also really important to get the right balance of nutrients to help your locks stay looking luscious and bouncy. We recommend plenty of protein. Eating good quality protein like chicken and eggs will help provide you with essential amino acids to help give luscious looking locks.
- Sleep - Sleep plays an important role in allowing our body to repair. The key is to sleep and eat well giving your hair, scalp and body time to rejuvenate.
- Exercise - Did you know that regular exercise has overall health benefits? Including improved circulation, which helps to bring oxygen and nutrients to the scalp and hair follicle, benefitting your hair’s growth.
*value data Kline & Company